After the funeral, what do I have to do?

As well as looking after yourself, there are important things which need attending to, if you are the next of kin of the person who has passed away. Your funeral director will order the death certificate for you and this will come in the mail from the Department of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

If you are executor of the will, you may be advised to seek the aid of your solicitor in probating the will.

There are many people or agencies to notify. You will need to notify some of the following:

• Department of Social Security • Department of Veteran's Affairs

• Superannuation company

• Solicitor and/or public trustee

• Banks • Building societies • Credit Union • Financial Institutions and loan companies • Credit Card providers

• Employer/former employer • Trade Unions or professional associations

• Australian Tax Office • Accountant

• Insurance Companies, Life, Accident, Home and Contents,Vehicle

• Doctor, Specialist or Hospital • Dentist • Chemist

• RTA - Car Registration and Licence

• Electoral Office

• Medicare • Health Benefits Fund • Ambulance Service

• Clubs, organisations and associations • Church or religious organisation

• Household help, gardening services or Meals on Wheels • Home Nursing Service

• Home delivery services - e.g. newspapers and milk

• Post Office for mail re-direction

• Local Government for Rates, Water supplier

• Telephone company • Electricity and Gas company

• Service organisations - e.g. Rotary, Lions, Apex, Zonta, Red Cross

Grief and Loss

 Text Copyright 2010 - 2018 Elaine Searle  Mob 0402 810 062